The need to transfer a domain name to a new registrar is not something you do often but if you need to, it's important to get the steps right.
There are steps that need to be taken both with your old and your new domain name registrar so you will need your login details for both.
Before you do anything, you will need to choose a new registrar. It is not our place to recommend a specific registrar but two that are particularly easy to use are GoDaddy and Google Domains. Both allow you to delegate access to another user which means you can give us access to your settings, so we can make changes & edits for you.
I will post links to specific instructions for both Google Domains and GoDaddy below but the basic steps you will need to undertake are:
With your current registrar:
Make sure the email address listed for the administrative (admin) contact on your domain is correct. Your current registrar will use this address to contact you during the transfer process.
Next unlock each of the domain names you’d like to transfer. Contact your current registrar for details on how to do this.
You will need an authorisation code (sometimes called a transfer key or EPP code) from your current registrar.
An example of moving a domain away from NetRegistry: https://support.netregistry.com.au/articles/nr/Transferring-domains-away-from-Netregistry
With your new registrar:
- Create an account with your new registrar & log in.
- Follow your new registrar's instructions for transferring the domain. This will usually involve paying for an additional 12 month fee which is added on to any existing time you have left on the current domain registration.
- Enter the transfer or EPP code that you copied earlier.
- If you are asked about DNS settings, choose to copy the existing settings when transferring.
- Your current registrar will usually contact you by email to confirm the transfer.
- Then it is just a matter of waiting until the transfer takes place. Most times it will not interrupt the service to your website during this process.
Specific instructions for Google Domains:
- Transferring a domain: https://support.google.com/domains/answer/3251236?hl=en&ref_topic=9003137
- Delegating access to another user: https://support.google.com/domains/answer/7179397?hl=en
Specific instructions for GoDaddy:
- Transferring a domain: https://au.godaddy.com/domains/domain-transfer
- Delegating access to another user: https://in.godaddy.com/help/invite-a-delegate-to-access-my-godaddy-account-12376